Who doesn’t like to watch movies, especially one that is filled with love? Romantic movies provide a way to warm up your heart and forget about all the despondency that everyday life entails. Watching a romantic movie with your lover is probably the best weekend getaway that you can enjoy; a bowl of popcorn, some good wine, your lover in right beside you and a brilliant romantic movie. The movie that we fall in love with the most usually involves two people falling madly and deeply in love with each other. True that not all romantic movies have a happy ending but love is something that must be celebrated, whether happy or not. Even Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet die in the end, but that doesn’t mean they loved each other any less. In all earnestness, they died for love.
Here is a list of the top 10 romantic movies that you must watch. The list is compiled after a careful comparison from various lists these fifteen are absolute gems.
- When Harry met Sally- This movie has topped many lists and there is a reason why it fares so high. This Nora Ephron and Rob Reiner classic mixes both fun and heart and tell you the tale of two unlike lovers who journey through different stages of life to be with each other. Meg Ryan and Billy Crystal are brilliant in the movie, with some scenes that you would never forget.
- Casablanca- Ingrid Bergman and Humphrey Bogart. Do you need to know any more? This iconic movie, regarded as one of the bests of all time tells the story of Rick, an emotionally butchered bar owner, and Ilsa, the old flame who had left Rick emotionally distant. Ilsa returns amidst a backdrop of World War II and starts a bittersweet love story that is sure to enthrall all.
- Gone With the Wind- Based on the 1936 novel of the same name written by Margaret Mitchell, this movie was released in 1939. This American classic tells the tale of Scarlett O’Hara played by Vivian Leigh and Rhett Butler played by Clark Gable, amidst a backdrop of the American Civil War. This is a tumultuous story of love and passion that is considered to be a classic in American cinema.
- Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind- The concepts of painful emotions, memories and ruminating about love has been pondered over by this Michel Gondry classic. A strong and impactful script by Charlie Kaufman and brilliant performances by Kate Winslet and Jim Carrey makes this movie a must watch. This story is about Joel and Clementine who love each other deeply and yet go through the process of having to forget the other. With sci-fi metaphors, this movie is a deep analysis on how humans tend to love.
- Titanic- How can you make a list of romantic movies without including Titanic in it? Jack and Rose are a couple that we hear about every day, and yes they are the lead characters from this James Cameroon movie. The movie tells the tale of the great accident that the Titanic ship incurred and gives a human perspective to the entire event with the captivating love story of Jack and Rose. Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet along with Celine Dion’s ‘My heart will go on’ are some of the prominent highlights of this must watch movie.
- Notting Hill- A Richard Curtis movie is sure to be one that tugs at your heartstrings and makes you laugh at the same time. This movie starring Hugh Grant and Julia Roberts tells us the story of a common man falling in love with a Hollywood actress, and how their unlikely love story takes shape. With iconic lines like, ‘I'm also just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her’ and pleasant performances, this movie is a gem to watch.
- The Notebook- This movie is sure to leave you looking for more tissue paper to wipe your tears. An adaptation from a Nicholas Sparks novel, this movie stars the drool-worthy Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams in a love story about two lovers who get separated time and again due to prejudices, war and finally dementia.
- Before Sunset- The second movie in the trilogy this Richard Linklater movie is a feast for romance lovers. Exploring the reunion of lovers who met only once nine years ago, this movie evolves in an organic fashion, complemented by stellar performances from Ethan Hawke and Julie Delphy.
- Brokeback Mountain- Who says you can only love if it is conventional? Love has no boundaries or prejudices. This Ang Lee movie explores the love of two homosexual cowboys who dare to love each other at a time when such acts are considered taboo. Searing performances from the brilliant Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal makes this movie a classic.
- Five centimeters per second- Movies are not just limited to things shot on camera. Equally enchanting stories can be relayed through animation. This Makoto Shinkai anime, also known as Byousoku 5 Centimeter in Japanese is a tale of a young boy and a girl who goes through life loving each other and growing farther away owing to the obstacles that life throws at them. Realistic animation and genius cinematography along with a mature story makes this movie a must watch.